Exploring 2016 Presidential Candidates

Andrea Steward, Writer

The next presidential election is quickly approaching. As of right now, there are six Democratic candidates and seventeen Republican candidates. They all have different views and agendas that they want to put into action, but perhaps two of the most controversial and popular candidates so far have been Donald Trump and Hilary Clinton.

Trump seems to be the Republican candidate with the most support so far. He has recently spoken out against the budget and is open about criticizing the government. On Fox News, he said that automatic budget cuts do not go far enough and Congress must reduce spending. He believes that climate change is a hoax, and tweeted out his skepticism in 2012. Trump also stated on Fox News, “The concept of climate change was created by the Chinese to suppress the U.S. economy.”

He stands by his opinion even though there is ample evidence that climate change is negatively affecting the world. He went on to criticize wind turbines, saying that they are “an environmental and aesthetic problem.”  Switching gears and looking at his impressive views on gun control, he believes that there should be limit restrictions on guns. Banning assault weapons and extending the waiting period for purchase also fit into his policy. Other things Trump intends to change are immigration and taxes. He was quoted talking about immigration in his January speech to the Iowa Freedom Summit saying, “There is no path to citizenship for undocumented workers.”

Lastly, Trump outlined his strong plan to end corporate taxes and significantly reduce individual taxes with a five-tier income tax system, meaning that the lowest earners would pay a one percent tax and the wealthiest would pay a 15 percent tax.

Hillary Clinton is the Democratic candidate who seems to have the most support at this time. Her budget plan is strict about needing bankruptcy reform. She has said that the economy is not working for middle class families. Clinton said that her goal is to have enough renewable energy to power every home in the United States within ten years of her being elected. She did not go into detail, but said she would give more specifics in the future. Currently, she has failed to do so. Clinton has not backed up her statements, and seems to think that talking about controversial issues will get her more votes.

In a 2014 interview with CNN, she expressed support for reinstating the federal assaults weapon ban. As the interview progressed she said, “I’m well aware that this is a hot political subject. And again, I will speak out no matter what role I find myself in. But I believe that we need a more thoughtful conversation. We cannot let a minority of people –and yes, that’s what it is, it is a minority of people– hold a viewpoint that terrorizes the majority of people.”

Again, she only talks about controversial issues when she places her bid for president. The last topic that this article will present is Clintons’ view on immigration. Earlier this year, Clinton stated that allowing illegal immigrants to have a path to citizenship is a family issue. Unlike Trump, Hillary believes that the United States should continue to allow immigrants to enter its borders. She pulls at the heartstrings of the nation. This is not a viable campaign tactic.