Lady Bear Golf Competes at State Meet

Junior+Lauren+Cox+brought+home+the+bronze+medal+from+the+State+Golf+Tournament.+

Photo provided by Vicki Castino

Junior Lauren Cox brought home the bronze medal from the State Golf Tournament.

Wendy Cates, Copy Editor

Last week, the Lady Bear Golf team wrapped up their participation in the State Golf tournament and finished in 7th place overall, with junior Lauren Cox bringing home the bronze medal with a score of 76-76. The team’s big wins came after an eventful season of earning the District Championship title.

“The team has come a long way since the beginning of the season,” sophomore Theresa Beckett said. “We all came together and made goals for ourselves to achieve as a team. We have had a great season.”

Unlike many other sports, the game of golf requires precision and concentration –  two important skills that the Lady Bears had to acquire before heading to the State tournament.

“Golf is a game of integrity,” head coach Vicki Castino said. “The types of kids that play golf are wonderful to be around.”

The Lady Bears prepared for State by working on their punting and practicing as hard as possible, typically playing about nine holes per day at Sunset Grove.

“Our main goal this year, besides getting better, was to make it to State,” Beckett said.

According to Castino, the girls worked hard all season despite the challenges on and off the course. They also developed a keen sense of where the ball should go and perfected their skills as much as possible.

“We make the most of our practice rounds and learn how to play the course,” Young said.

After 20 years of coaching golf, Castino was able to end her career with an outstanding finish and her players never fail to be appreciative of her efforts as a coach.

I told them they could do it, and they did! I am so proud of them

— Vicki Castino

“Coach Castino is the most outgoing, positive woman I know, and she always does whatever it takes to help us and take care of us as if we were her own children,” Lady Bear Golfer Ashley Young said.

Castino earned her 500th career volleyball win earlier in the year and also claimed the District Championship title with an undefeated team. Her golf team’s success is just the icing on the cake.

“The girl’s gave me something to end my career on a high note,” Castino said. “I told them they could do it, and they did! I am so proud of them.”