UIL Academics Claims Regional Championship

The+UIL+Academics+teams+scored+the+most+points+at+the+Regional+competition%2C+giving+them+the+championship+title.+

Photo provided by Terri Estes

The UIL Academics teams scored the most points at the Regional competition, giving them the championship title.

Valen Elliott, Writer

The UIL Academic team made history last weekend at the Regional competition held at Sam Houston University, bringing home the Regional Championship title. With many team and individual placements, the team will have 35 students advancing to the State competition later this month.

“This year’s UIL academics accomplishments show what students can do when they put their minds to doing something,”  UIL Math Coach Ricky Ryan said.

Several teams took first place, including general math, computer science, and current events. The number sense team will also advance on to State.

“The members of the general math team started the year with a team that would have to have help from the other district team to get out of district,” Ryan said, “But Shri, Thomas, and Arish embraced the challenge of improving and put in the necessary work to learn new things and improve their speed.”

Sophomore Valen Elliott placed second in news writing, senior Aaron Rose placed second in ready writing, and freshman Spencer Johns took first place in current events. In the poetry and prose competition, senior Alex Borel placed second in poetry and sophomore Mariah Blair took sixth in poetry. Senior Triston Stringer place sixth in prose and sophomore Tyler Regan placed fourth.

Seeing the results of their hard work payoff was a great feeling.

— Ricky Ryan

“I am really happy for these students,” Ryan said. “It is a joy to work with them and watch them increase their knowledge. Seeing the results of their hard work payoff was a great feeling.”

The record-breaking group will compete at the State competition in Austin on Monday, May 25 through Wednesday, May 27.