Finding the courage to create

Staff writer discovers love for the stage

Junior+Camille+Kelly+%28center%29+was+one+of+the+lead+actresses+in+this+years+One+Act+Play+production.+

Junior Camille Kelly (center) was one of the lead actresses in this year’s One Act Play production.

Camille Kelly, Managing Editor

The curtain sweeps to a close as a cover of cool darkness collides in the center of the stage. From the outside, heat radiates off stage lights and thundering applause fills the auditorium. From within, the troupe is united in one hushed breath of relief, released under the shelter of darkness. Someone squeezes my hand and another hugs me from the side. We can’t see a thing, but we know we are all having the same collective thought: “We did it.” 

The audience increases in volume as the curtain sweeps open for strike. Their enthusiasm soars our spirits, but if my few years of this have taught me anything, it’s that the art of theatre is so much more than the sound of applause. 

Since I was little, I’ve been creating and acting out stories. In fact, I always knew I wanted to be a writer, but theatre was something I hadn’t realized would become a part of me until later.  

Transitioning from private school to public high school, I really wanted to find that feel of family again. When I auditioned for Theatre Productions and made it, I was immediately welcomed into a group of vastly different and fun, silly people. It took a little while to fully adjust to being in the troupe, but they were so ready to accept me, even when I wasn’t ready to fully be myself around them yet. 

Fast forward to junior year – I am discovering more and more who I am and what God’s plans are for me, and theatre has become one of the greatest aspects of my life. The troupe is my second family, and the stage is an outlet for me to continue immersing myself in storytelling. 

This is the time when we are all growing and rapidly becoming the person we will choose to be for the rest of our lives. Performing with my troupe has pushed me physically, mentally, and emotionally, all contributing to this person I am becoming.

One Act is so different from anything else I’ll ever get the opportunity to be a part of. In this time together, I’ve gained more empathy for people around me, discovered so much about myself, and experienced all the highs and lows of working towards a common goal with a group of friends more like family.

Dennison, our director, has taught us to have more confidence, gladly take criticism, and to keep pursuing our dreams and creating art. In our time with her we have not just improved as actors and technicians, we also are growing in character.

I have made so many memories this year that I know will stick with me for the rest of my life. We’ve all laughed together, cried together, and worked harder than we ever knew we could to create something beautiful.

Theatre may not be for everyone, but I believe every young person needs to experience what it’s like to be part of something bigger than yourself. Everyone needs to find that courage to create. 

Dennison, troupe- my family, you’ve given me that. I love you so much. Thank you for everything.