Bear of the Week: Simra Shahab

Junior+Simra+Shahab+is+involved+in+theatre%2C+UIL%2C+and+debate.+

Junior Simra Shahab is involved in theatre, UIL, and debate.

Rayna Christy, Managing Editor

Junior Simra Shahab is involved in multiple activities in school, including being on the UIL Debate team, the UIL Prose team, and theatre. Outside of these activities, she enjoys reading and writing, along with fashion and nature. Shahab has multiple goals for her future, in different aspects of life. 

“My goals for the future include, hopefully, publishing a book, becoming a fashion designer, and to find something that can help my sister keep her balance and walk,” Shahab said.  

Shahab is motivated by her religion and following it. Alongside this, her biggest inspiration is her family. 

“My mom and dad inspire me because from the moment they both arrived in the United States, they have worked hard for my siblings and I to have the amazing lives that we have now,” Shahab said. “My brother inspires me because even though at times we fight like all siblings do, he’s still the kindest and best brother I could ever ask for. My sister also inspires me because even though she faces difficulties through life, she always has a smile on her face, she always finds a reason to laugh, and she always finds a way to make everyone around her smile and laugh as well.” 

Shahab’s favorite quote is from the Holy Quran: “So, surely with hardship comes ease.” 

One thing Shahab works for constantly is to make her parents proud with everything she does. 

“When my parents feel proud of me, I always feel proud of myself,” Shahab said. “Even though it’s my life, and I live it to the fullest, I still want them to know that for everything they sacrificed for me and my siblings that I am grateful, and because I can’t always say it in words, I show them through my actions that I am very proud of them, as much as they are of me.” 

According to debate sponsor Michelle Courmier, Shahab has medaled at multiple UIL meets.

“Simra is an outstanding student, who is not only a hard worker, but goes above and beyond outside of the classroom as well,” Courmier said. “She is a joy to be around and is a pleasure to have in the classroom.”

Theatre director and UIL Prose and Poetry coach Ashley Dennison said Shahab is one of the hardest workers she has had the pleasure of teaching.

“She’s respectful, a team player, and incredibly talented,” Dennison said. “Everyone who knows Simra feels loved and appreciated by her.”