Youth food and craft project contest to be held

A+Youth+Food+and+Craft+Project+contest+open+to+grades+3rd-12th+will+be+hosted+by+Texas+A%26M+AgriLife+Extension.+

A Youth Food and Craft Project contest open to grades 3rd-12th will be hosted by Texas A&M AgriLife Extension.

Camille Kelly, Managing Editor

A Youth Food and Craft Project contest open to grades 3rd-12th will be hosted by Texas A&M AgriLife Extension and the Orange County Livestock Show Association on Friday, Oct. 7 from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. at the Tin Top 2 Arena. Winners will be announced at the start of the Livestock Show Auction Saturday, Oct. 8 at 7 p.m.  

“We hope to impact the community by having more youth involvement that instills confidence, leadership, life, and communication skills,” Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Office Manager Kim Peveto said. “We strive to help youth to better themselves. The 4-H motto is ‘To make the best, better’.” 

The competition is free to enter, and consists of categories such as art, desserts, canned and dried foods, photography, horticulture, family and consumer science, and industrial arts. Students can register online and find a complete copy of the contest rules at orange.agrilife.org, or call 409-882-7010 with questions and concerns. 

“This will be the third year we have hosted the Food & Craft Project in conjunction with the livestock show,” Peveto said. “This contest allows us to invite the local youth to showcase their skills and talent, and to promote Orange County.”