Girls soccer off to solid district start

Freshman+Taylor+Bull+keeps+the+ball+away+from+the+Silsbee+defense.+

Miranda Keltz

Freshman Taylor Bull keeps the ball away from the Silsbee defense.

Savannah Crabtree, Writer

With soccer season underway, the Lady Bear Soccer team has had a successful start to their season and currently boasts a 3-1 district record. However, they will not be satisfied with this success and strive to win even more games as district play continues. 

“Some of the team’s goals for the season are to always keep improving and being the best that we can be,” head coach Lauren Martin said. “Ultimately, we want to perform well on the field as a team and reach the goal of securing a first-place finish in district. We play all in, all out, every single game to help us reach these goals.” 

According to Martin, the team is off to a great start to the season and currently has an overall record of 8-5-1. In district play, they have defeated Jasper, Silsbee, and Vidor. 

“The team is performing well individually and together,” Martin said. “We can always work to continue to improve. So far, we are off to a fantastic start!” 

Martin said across the board, the Lady Bears are a strong team and each player brings her own soccer experience to the table.

This group is also very coachable and is always willing to learn and improve.

“Experience is definitely a strength,” she said. “This group is also very coachable and is always willing to learn and improve. It isn’t necessarily a weakness, but we can always communicate more on the field. Communication is key.” 

The team has been working hard, practicing during season and in the offseason. Players work on skill days during the summer, meet up and play soccer on their own time, and play club soccer. 

“When season arrives, we fine tune everything and put all the pieces together,” Martin said. “We have specific tasks set for each practice and it is planned down to the minute. Conditioning, running drills, learning new formations, and just having the drive to be successful is what we will use to reach our goals.” 

According to Martin, everyone on the team is a key player. 

“A puzzle isn’t complete if you are missing a piece,” Martin said. “Each of them are a key piece of the team puzzle. Without defense it would leave our keeper in a bad spot, without offense we couldn’t score as many goals, and midfield keeps both offense and defense on track. I am thankful for the leadership of the upperclassmen and for a group of underclassmen that are willing to put in the work to be successful.” 

The Lady Bears will return to action Friday, Feb. 11 when they play Bridge City at the West Orange-Stark stadium.