An inside look at the LCM Bear Facts

The LCM Bear Facts has published its news solely online since 2011 and has greatly increased its readership over the years.

Rayna Christy, Writer

Most hear about any news surrounding the school, but many may not know where the news comes from.

The LCM Bear Facts is the online newspaper for the high school campus, and it features stories written by students on staff. These range from news about the school to editorials of issues going on worldwide.

“When I first started at LCM in 2009, the newspaper at the time wasn’t being published very regularly,” LCM Bear Facts adviser Lindsey Fruge said. “Despite printing on a more regular basis when I started, we eventually decided to switch to an all-online format. We thought this would increase our readership and allow us to reach a more widespread audience, and it definitely has over the years.”

Now that the newspaper is based solely online, the website can be accessed from any electronic device. Parents and students alike have the opportunity to stay up-to-date on the events going on at the high school.

“Our website is hosted through a program called SNO (Students Newspapers Online), which hosts hundreds of other news sites across the country,” Fruge said. “We have a little bit of everything: news stories, feature stories, opinion articles, photos, polls, breaking news, sports schedules, recent scores, and much more.”

The stories featured on the website are written by staff members. These members are high school students, all of different grade levels.

“We have eight students on our staff this year,” Fruge said. “They are responsible for coming up with story ideas, then interviewing their sources and writing articles.”

Sometimes people think we are simply a social media page, but we are, in fact, much more.

— Lindsey Fruge

These stories are not only about events going on, however. There are also feature stories about students, teachers, and even alumni who have interesting lives or excel in their classes.

“We also feature a student who has been named as the ‘Bear of the Week’ every week,” Fruge said. “Those students have all been nominated by a teacher on the high school campus.”

The website is not the only way the Bear Facts gets news out to the public. There are also multiple social media platforms where stories are linked, and even more interesting events are showcased.

“Aside from our online newspaper website, we are also very active on our social media pages,” Fruge said. “We currently have Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. On those pages, we post links to our stories, photos from various school events, game updates and scores, and much more. Sometimes people think we are simply a social media page, but we are, in fact, much more.”