Interact to host winter formal

The+LCM+Winter+Formal%2C+hosted+by+Interact%2C+will+return+this+January.+

The LCM Winter Formal, hosted by Interact, will return this January.

Camille Kelly, Writer

The Interact Club will host a Winter Formal on Saturday, Jan. 15 in the school cafeteria for 9th-12th grade students. The semi-formal dance is a fundraiser that Interact plans every year in order to donate to a deserving cause.  

“We have not decided for sure what we will be using the funds toward for this year, but it will be announced soon,” Interact Club Co-Sponsor Jeannie Alexander said. “We will need everyone’s support for this to be a success!” 

According to Alexander, the Winter Formal is an opportunity for students to dress up, crown the Winter Formal Court Queen and King, and spend the night dancing. The fundraiser not only raises money for donations each year, but it is also a chance for encouraging school spirit among the student body. 

“The Winter Formal is a lot of work, but it is our biggest fundraiser that also creates a night of fun memories for the high school campus,” Alexander said. “The focus is on coming and staying at the dance and having a great time while raising money and it is always a huge hit!” 

Interact is not just the club that plans the Winter Formal each year. Interact members are responsible for the work behind the scenes in many school events and fundraisers. The club is a service group focused on teaching students to serve their school, community, and the world around them.  

The Winter Formal is a lot of work, but it is our biggest fundraiser that also creates a night of fun memories for the high school campus.

— Jeannie Alexander

“It’s fun to see the students get excited to do something for others, not just themselves,” Interact Club Co-Sponsor Jill Shugart said. “Interact gives them a home, where we have a really good group of kids that are more interested in serving others than thinking of themselves.” 

Interact operates under the Rotary Club and is required to perform two service projects – one local and one international – each year. The group holds meetings on the first and third Tuesdays of the month in the Lecture Hall at 7:40 am. 

“My goal is to raise up a strong group of underclassmen to carry Interact into the future,” Alexander said. “We started this club in 2016 and it has been a large club with fantastic students willing to put ‘service above self’ year after year.”