Lady Bears start season off strong

Junior+Hallie+Maddox+sets+up+one+of+her+teammates.+

Aaliyah LeCompte

Junior Hallie Maddox sets up one of her teammates.

Rayna Christy, Writer

The Lady Bear Volleyball team has started the 2021 season off strong, with wins over schools such as Woodville and Deweyville. They also recently participated in the Dayton tournament, triumphing over Tarkington, Fort Bend Elkins, Port-Neches Groves, and Texas City. 

Any coach will tell you that they intend to win the games their team plays. But, alongside those objectives, they also aim to make sure that their players have the chance to improve and offer help along the way. 

“My goals for this season are to make sure that each of my players improve, one game at a time, and to make sure that my team as a whole improves from last season to this season,” head coach Rhonda Williams said. 

Every coach has goals for the season, and each one also sets standards that they expect their players to hold themselves to. However, some players add their own expectations that they hope to achieve. They strive to accomplish more than solely being victorious in the match.

We have a special group of players this year.

— Coach Williams

“Individually, my goal for myself is to always be encouraging no matter the situation,” junior setter Hallie Maddox said. 

Not only do the Lady Bears hold themselves as individuals to these goals, but they also make sure that they do step up as a team as well. They note what their strengths and weaknesses are, and work to improve upon both aspects. When they find a strength, they do everything they can to use it to their advantage.

“The team’s biggest strength is when we’re fired up, it shows on the court and on the scoreboard,” setter and outside hitter Trinity Williams said. 

Every year’s team is uniquely different. The people change every year, and it’s up to the coach to pick players whose personalities mesh well together and can come together both on the court and off. 

“We have a special group of players this year,” coach Williams said. “We have six seniors on our team, and I want to make sure that [the] student section, administrators, and the community all come out to support our team this year because most of our players have been playing this game since they were eleven or twelve years old, and this is a special year for them, so I just want to make sure that they have the support that they need and the support that they should get.” 

I just want to make sure that they have the support that they need and the support that they should get.

— Coach Williams

.

The Lady Bears will travel to Beaumont tomorrow to play Beaumont United. The varsity team will play first, followed by the junior varsity and then the freshmen. They will travel to Lumberton next Tuesday, Sept. 7.