Junior selected for scholarship

Junior+Tracy+Qi+was+presented+as+the+Sophomore+of+the+Year+for+2019-2020+by+Kiwanis+Club+President+Shane+Johns.+

Photo courtesy of LCMCISD

Junior Tracy Qi was presented as the “Sophomore of the Year” for 2019-2020 by Kiwanis Club President Shane Johns.

Marshall S. Braus, Writer

Junior Tracy Qi was recently selected by the Texas-Oklahoma District of Key Clubs as the Sophomore of the Year for 2019-2020. This award is based on a student’s leadership and service and carries a $600 scholarship when the student graduates.

Qi was presented with this award by Orange Kiwanis Club President Shane Johns at a recent LCMCISD school board meeting. She is an active member of Key Club, band, Interact Club, HOSA, and National Honor Society. She plans to further her education after high school and said she feels honored that she was chosen for this award.

“It’s important to be involved in your community, make new friends and boost social skills, and help others to make a difference,” Qi said.

The Kiwanis Club of Orange is the sponsor of the LCM Key Club and for the local elementary schools, provides funds annually to help buy book fair books for students who are unable to purchase books on their own.

The Kiwanis Club’s upcoming project is the annual Christmas parade on Friday, Dec. 4.Kiwanis is currently hoping for student volunteers to assist with the parade.