Teacher shares love of sign language

Mikayla+Wappler+is+the+new+ASL+teacher+at+the+high+school.+

Emily Day

Mikayla Wappler is the new ASL teacher at the high school.

Sydney Bowman, Editor

Transitioning from a full-time substitute to a high school teacher can be difficult, but for this American Sign Language (ASL) teacher and dance coach, it’s what she has always dreamed of doing. 

New teacher Mikayla Wappler has a mission to spread the hidden culture of Deaf people through her teaching. 

“I think the language is beautiful and the culture is so rich,” Wappler said. “I really want to share it with as many people as I can. Not many people even know that Deaf culture exists. There are so many myths and misconceptions about Deaf people.” 

Some of these misconceptions include that: Deaf people cannot drive, Deaf people are illiterate, and that Deaf people read Braille. While none of these things are true, Wappler aims to spread the truth about Deaf people and their culture. 

“My students benefit from learning ASL because they are learning about another culture,” Wappler said. “They start to become aware of culture other than their own. My students will be able to interact and be advocates for this hidden culture.” 

Though she has just begun her ASL career this year, Wappler previously worked at a dance studio for several years. So, once she decided that she wanted to be a teacher, she knew she just had to work with the drill team. 

“When you are doing things that you enjoy you make every effort to do your best,” Wappler said. “I love teaching both my American Sign Language students and my Honey Bears. Everything has progressed as smoothly as it possibly can.”