Anime Club is back

The+Anime+Club+is+back+and+meets+twice+a+month.+

The Anime Club is back and meets twice a month.

Katlyn Owens, Writer

After a two-year hiatus, the Anime Club has made it back on campus as an official LCM organization. The club is sponsored by English teacher Amy Robbins, who recently moved to LCM from Nederland. Robbins said she decided to take on this role because she wants to help “normalize” Anime. 

According to Robbins, she knows what it is like to grow up as an Anime and Manga fan and knows what it is like to be in school and admit to liking Anime.   

“People, very quickly, can categorize Anime-watchers as ‘one of those people,’ yet watching Anime is not the sole-defining aspect of any one person – it can’t be,” Robbins said. “When someone asks, ‘Who are you?’, I would hope that you would not limit yourself to one category: ‘Oh, I’m a football player,’ or ‘I’m a big sister.’  You are made up of so much more, and your interests are just that – your interests.” 

Robbins said she wants to center club activities around Japanese culture, along with watching Anime. At one meeting, they might create sushi rolls and hold a drawing contest at the next one. Robbins also said they might have a costume contest closer to Halloween and a baked goods sale in February. 

“I am most looking forward to seeing new friendships form,” Robbins said. “This is what it’s all about. Whether we’re taking a field trip to an Anime convention (fingers crossed) or just relaxing and watching Studio Ghibli films, the members of LCM’s Anime Club will find a home-away-from-home and a family of like-minded peers.”