Theatre director has successful first year

Even+though+it+is+her+first+year+at+LCM%2C+Theatre+Director+Ashley+Dennison+%28far+left%29+has+already+racked+up+several+awards.+

Even though it is her first year at LCM, Theatre Director Ashley Dennison (far left) has already racked up several awards.

Rylee LeVasseur, Writer

Theatre teacher and director Ashley Dennison has had a huge impact on the theatre program, despite only taking the job eight months ago. She has already directed two shows, including the award-winning UIL One Act Play, “The History of Tom Jones,” which made it all the way to the Regional round of competition.

Dennison’s theatre career has taken her many places outside of Orange, from Houston where she performed and directed, to as far as New York City. She has been acting since age 14 here in Orange, but was introduced to theatre much sooner. She also attended LCM her freshman year of high school.

“LCM has always had a special place in my heart,” Dennison said. “And I knew how insanely talented these students are, so I wanted to be a part of it.”

In the future, Dennison said she hopes to broaden the program, including different activities and a diverse range of students. Starting next fall, she hopes to include a musical with auditions open to the student body.

“I want to include all types of students,” Dennison said. “Theatre is not just acting- it’s for technicians, artists, dancers, writers, engineers, etc.”

In the short time that Dennison has been a part of the theatre family, she has formed a close bond with her students. Both sides have learned the importance of improvement, respect, and collaboration. Junior Abby Barborek said that not only has Dennison added many great aspects to the program, she also has given students a safe place for expression and support.

“I hope my students know their value,” Dennison said. “It’s not in what others think, it’s in what they think of themselves.”