Junior makes TMEA All-State band

Jose Ochoa

Junior Bryanna Lewis recently made the TMEA All-State Band.

Shaleigh Hebert, Writer

Making history is not usually something a high school student can say they have done. On Jan. 12, Junior Bryanna Lewis went against all odds and did exactly that. Lewis is the first flute player in the school’s history to make the TMEA All-State band. Knowing her hard work didn’t go to waste is something she is very proud of. 

Competing at the Area level can be nerve-racking for all participants. Knowing that one’s last audition is hours away can bring mixed feelings to surface. 

“I was excited and kind of nervous at the same time,” Lewis said. “I think the most nerve-racking part is waiting for the results to be posted.” 

Not knowing what a student’s placement is after the audition can be very unsettling. According to Lewis, students can wait anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour to find out results. 

“I really thought I was going to get fifth, or something like that,” Lewis said. “I didn’t do my best, but I feel like everyone might not have had their best audition either.” 

Being confident and having a set goal can be key to having a good audition, and according to Lewis, she already had one in mind. 

“Before I went in the room, I knew I wanted to make state,” Lewis said. “But if I didn’t make it, I wasn’t going to be surprised.” 

After waiting around for results, Lewis’ friends were the first to find out just how well she had done. According to Lewis, junior Darby Watson came outside and would only tell her that the results were up, making go her inside to find out her placing. Upon entering the school, everyone congratulated her and informed her of the big news. 

“I didn’t believe it honestly,” Lewis said. “I thought there was no way I had actually done it. I felt like it was too good to be true, but I was so happy.” 

According to Lewis, before moving on to the Area level and then going even further, preparation is what helped the most. During the summer, she began her practice leading up to the audition process for Region, and eventually Area. 

“I knew it was possible for me to make it and a lot of people told me that they thought I could too,” Lewis said. “I just practiced as much as I could when I had the chance.” 

According to Lewis, she motivated herself along with others because she knew what she was capable of, and the only thing left was to work to achieve her goals. 

“People who motivated me were my friends and the directors, especially Kace Smith,” Lewis said. “I pretty much looked up to him since my sophomore year and saw how much he practiced that led him to make State his junior year.” 

Accomplishing something so great can mean a lot to someone, especially when it’s his or her first time to do so. 

“I never really thought that I could make it because the people at area are at a higher level,” Lewis said. “It really meant a lot to know that I’m improving.” 

On the journey to her success, there were many lessons learned. One lesson that was significant to Lewis was to simply never give up. 

“There were times where I did not want to practice or I felt like I wasn’t getting better,” Lewis said. “In those times I told myself that if I stopped practicing, I was never going to succeed, and that pushed me to keep going.” 

After achieving a goal, there can be a sense of accomplishment. According to Lewis, she feels very proud of herself for making state. 

“It is not a feeling just anyone can experience,” Lewis said. “I feel like I deserve it with all of the hard work I put in.”