Senior embarks on trip to India

Senior+Nyah+Patel+traveled+to+India+over+the+Christmas+break.+

Photo courtesy of Nyah Patel

Senior Nyah Patel traveled to India over the Christmas break.

Shaleigh Hebert, Writer

While many high school students spent their Christmas break at home or going out of state to visit family, senior Nyah Patel’s break was spent traveling 26 hours to a different continent. As she was going to sleep every night, her friends back home were waking up.

From Dec. 21 through Jan. 7, Patel embarked on an adventure to India alongside her mom, dad, and brother. Venturing through Gujarat, Mumbai, Agra, and New Delhi, the Patels wanted to visit India to get insight on their family’s motherland, experience how their ancestors lived, and learn more about their culture. 

Unlike Patel’s parents who had been to India 20 years ago, this was a first-time experience for her. 

“I had always imagined it to be very different from the atmosphere in America, and it was,” Patel said. “From the moment we got off the plane, it was like experiencing a whole new adventure.” 

According to Patel, the most surprising thing she experienced was driving, and anywhere she looked cars were dodging each other and honking constantly. 

“While it’s very hectic over there with the heavy traffic, I didn’t witness a single wreck in sight,” Patel said. “A common saying is if you can drive in India, you can drive anywhere in the world.” 

While in India, Patel had to take time getting used to the culture of the country. 

“From conversing with the people over there to eating a variety of Indian food, it was all so different,” Patel said. “To get the best experience in any country, it’s important to adapt to the surrounding environment instead of acting like an outsider.” 

Although some of her greatest moments in India were spending time seeing many relatives to eating a lot of great food, her favorite part was visiting the Taj Mahal. 

“Seeing it in person is breathtaking,” Patel said. “I know that experience will be fresh in my mind for years to come.” 

In India, education isn’t something that’s offered to every child. According to Patel, attending school is something she can now be more grateful for.  

“From taking this trip, I’ve learned that it’s important to appreciate and value the important things we usually take for granted, such as education,” Patel said. 

According to Patel, taking the trip was significant to her because she had the chance to discover her culture in depth. 

“It was amazing to see where my family comes from and how it all began,” Patel said. “I wish that everyone had the chance to visit where their ancestors came from.”