Interact Club to host winter dance

Interact+Club+will+host+the+school%27s+first+Winter+Formal+on+Feb.+2.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Interact Club to host winter dance

Interact Club will host the school's first Winter Formal on Feb. 2.

Katlyn Owens, Writer

Interact Club will host LCM’s first school-wide Winter Semi-Formal at 8:30 p.m. on Feb. 2 in the cafeteria. Students may purchase tickets for $10 in the nurse’s office until Jan. 18 and then the prices go up to $15. Students may also purchase them at the door on the day of the dance for $20.

According to Interact Club sponsor Jeannie Alexander, students are encouraged to bring a date or just go with friends – as long as they abide by the rules and have fun. If a student would like to bring a date from another school, that date must not be over 20 years old and cannot be in junior high. Students must also pick up a behavior contract to be signed off by administration at their school. These contracts for non-LCM students are due by Jan. 30.

Dance attendees must abide by a certain dress code or they will be turned away at the door.

“We want it to be a nice, dressy event that everyone is comfortable to attend,” Alexander said.

Guys can wear anything from khaki pants and a sweater to a suit or anything in between. Dress shirts and slacks are allowed, with or without a tie. For the girls, Alexander said the dress code is semi-formal, as to not compete or take away from prom.

“Traditionally that would mean short dresses at the knee or higher,” she said. “A dress below the knees is fine, but no long, formal dresses will be allowed. We are asking for the dresses to be in good taste with no sheer panels between the chest and fingertip area (with hands at the side). With arms at your sides, the dresses must come to your fingertip or below including any slits.”

Dresses can be strapless and two-piece as long as only one inch of midriff is exposed. No plunging v-neck dresses where it goes below the chest area will be allowed. Semi-formal pant suits/jump suits are allowed with the same guidelines in place.

“We are trying to be specific on the dress code in order to avoid issues once students get to the dance,” Alexander said. “If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to come by my office and check first.”

Alexander came up with the idea for the Winter Formal after seeing how much fun her own children had attending winter-themed dances at other schools.

“I had a wild idea that we should do it and lucky for us, Mr. DuBose was right on board and so here we are,” Alexander said. “We decided to go out on a limb and take this on as an Interact event and see if the response is good enough to continue doing it in the future. It is our hope that students will attend and enjoy just dancing and having a great time with their friends.”

Any money made after costs of the dance are subtracted will go toward the Water Project, which provides clean drinking water to an African community.

“Interact is all about Service Above Self,” Alexander said. “We want to offer this as a service to our school and benefit a great cause at the same time. We also are trying to make the ticket cost low so everyone can attend.”

Alexander said she hopes this event is a success and will be well-received by students.

“The memories you make in high school will always be special,” Alexander said. “We are all about unity and school spirit at LCM and so we wanted all of our students invited. We want you to come at 8:30 and be there when the lights come on at 11:00. Mr. DuBose’s brother will be our DJ and so it’s sure to be a great time! Don’t worry about buying corsages, etc. Just get dressed nice, go have dinner, and come throw your shoes off and DANCE!”

Katlyn Owens, Writer

I'm just a sophomore who likes photography and writing stories.