Love for music brings great success

Shaleigh Hebert, Writer

Making State two years in a row is something that most band students would love to accomplish. For senior Kace Smith, this is something he can proudly say he has done. The hard work and dedication he has poured into his music has given him the honor of being considered one of the best high school musicians in the state of Texas.

Shortly after Region auditions, Smith auditioned on baritone saxophone at the Area level to be placed in the TMEA All-State Jazz band. Competing against one musician from each area, Smith was named first chair.

“Auditioning for State is always a very stressful moment, regardless of how many times you’ve made it,” Smith said, “But I felt very confident with how much I had worked and played to the best of my ability.” 

According to Smith, holding down the first chair of the All-State Jazz band two years in a row is a huge accomplishment. It allows him to prove to everyone his dedication and that he has rightfully earned his placements. 

“Personally, this is not a stopping point for me,” Smith said. “My goal is to be the best musician I possibly can and I continue to work and practice towards my goal every day.” 

Smith said making State as a senior is a very special feeling. Being able to see all of his years of work and continuous practice paying off is something he greatly values.  

“Music has always been something that I’ve been interested in,” Smith said. “Being able to create music is possibly one of the best things I’ve ever had the chance to do.” 

Smith plans on majoring in music education when he graduates and moves on to college. He hopes to continue performing in a more professional setting. 

“I hope to one day be able to teach music to others that share the same passion as I do,” Smith said. “I’m a firm believer that you should pursue what you enjoy doing, and for me, music is exactly that.”