Choir students advance to Area contest

Several+choir+students+recently+advanced+to+the+Area+competition.+

Nikki Hanson

Several choir students recently advanced to the Area competition.

Katlyn Owens, Writer

A group of choir students recently competed to earn a place to continue in the process of becoming TMEA All-State Choir members. The following were selected and will compete at the Area level in January: Hunter Perkins, John Paul Sulak, Mckenzie Guillory, Shelby Smith, and Rachel Belcher (alternate).

According to Sulak, he has been practicing since early October. He practices pieces and sight-reading during mega lunch, and then more over the weekends. His goal for Area is to advance to the All-State Choir.

“I was really nervous, probably more nervous than when I was actually auditioning,” Sulak said. “Although, when my number was called, there was this feeling of relief and satisfaction.”

Guillory may have not been practicing for long, but she said she plans on making up for that by practicing a lot in her free-time and at home. She also plans on getting help and advice from choir director Nikki Hanson.

“I would like to do my very best, no matter the results,” Guillory said. “I don’t want to put too much stress on advancing because I think it is more important to have fun and show off my passion rather than getting a perfect ranking. It was a happy feeling, one that wasn’t too expected. I was excited to be moving forward in the process with my friends.”