Band to compete at State this week

The+Battlin+Bear+Band+will+compete+at+State+this+Wednesday%2C+Nov.+7.+

Jose Ochoa

The Battlin’ Bear Band will compete at State this Wednesday, Nov. 7.

Emily Day, Writer

The Battlin’ Bear Band will be competing in the UIL State Marching Band Competition this Wednesday, Nov.  7 in San Antonio, Texas at the Alamodome.

The band received all 1’s at the UIL Region 10 Marching Band Contest on Saturday, Oct. 20, which qualified them for the next round of competition.

“I was very excited when we heard that our band advanced to the Area level,” senior drum major Lauren Ewing said.

After receiving sweepstakes at Region, the band advanced to the Area C Marching Band Competition on Oct. 7.

“When I stepped onto the field, I was surprisingly relaxed,” Ewing said. “I know what this band is made of and I’m proud of what they have already achieved. I knew they had a ton of potential and I have all of my faith in them.”

The band placed second out of 26 in Area prelims, and competed again among the top ten bands that night.

“At area finals, I was a little nervous on the field but I played well and had fun,” freshman percussionist Texas Collier said.

After taking the field at Area finals, the band returned to the stands and waited for the results to be announced.

“Area was just such a long day,” Ewing said. “It felt so good to receive the results we were looking for. I was down on the track when they announced that we advanced to State, and I was the one that counted the drum majors off for the salute. By the end of our salute, I was grinning from ear to ear!”

The band will take the field at 9:40 a.m. Wednesday, Nov. 7. Anyone interested in watching the performance live may visit the following website: https://box5tv.com/livestream/signup/F82uKPLw