Senior marches to beat of international drum

Senior+Kaimen+Swanton+has+spent+the+last+three+summers+marching+in+Drum+Corps+International.+
Senior Kaimen Swanton has spent the last three summers marching in Drum Corps International.

Photo courtesy of Kaimen Swanton

Photo courtesy of Kaimen Swanton

Shaleigh Hebert, Writer

Summer for high school students is normally spent sleeping in, hanging out with friends, and relaxing after a long school year. Senior Kaimen Swanton does the exact opposite and spent the last three summers marching in Drum Crops International, the world’s most exclusive marching ensembles for musicians and performers.

In December of 2017 at his first audition camp in Austin, Texas, Swanton received a contract to march in the Blue Stars Drum and Bugle Corps.

“When I received my contract I was really surprised because getting your contract after the first camp is really rare, but I did it,” Swanton said. “I was just really proud of the work I had done and I was super excited.”

According to Swanton, DCI is a very physical activity and is not like the average marching band.

“We would get up around six or seven in the morning and we would rehearse until about 10 p.m. in the heat, rain, and all across the country,” Swanton said. “I lost 25 pounds from doing this routine every single day for 85 days.”

DCI is not only a physically demanding activity, but a place that can bring its members together and create sentimental value.

“You’ll never forget the people that you’re with during the summer and never forget the memories,” Swanton said. “Music brings me to tears and has really touched me in general. DCI definitely brought that emotion out of music to me.”

Meeting many new people over the summer is very common because most members are from different places across the country.

“You grow so close to them over the summer because you spend 85 days together,” Swanton said. “It’s just a really amazing experience. Creating these bonds that are greater than friendships you have at home that will last the rest of my life is just amazing.”

To be age-eligible to march in DCI, one must be 21 years of age or younger with an exception for those who turn 22 on or after June first that year.

“I plan to march the rest of my years at the Blue Stars because it’s a family-based organization and we’re really close together,” Swanton said. “I want to march every year because DCI is an amazing thing that has changed my life forever and will continue to change it.”

Shaleigh Hebert, Writer

Sunset, music, and burrito enthusiast. Major fan of videos where cats get scared by pickles.