Senior takes summer trip

Senior+Sophie+Boyd+recently+recieved+a+scholarship+and+traveled+overseas.+

Trinity Norwood

Senior Sophie Boyd recently recieved a scholarship and traveled overseas.

Emily Day, Writer

Balancing advanced classes, multiple clubs, a social life, and time with family can be difficult for most students. But for senior Sophie Boyd, this is her every day life.

Boyd embarked on a four-week oversees excursion this past summer, where she had the opportunity to visit London, Cambridge, and Duxford, England.

“I went to Cambridge on a scholarship based on my PSAT scores,” Boyd said. “I went through a lengthy application process involving a lot of teacher recommendations and writing essays. Based on those scores, there were people that judged my application against people all around the world from 80 different countries, I got chosen.”

Boyd said she would definitely consider going back, although it was her first time going overseas on an airplane.

“There were a lot of things I had to do on my own that I had never even done before,” Boyd said. “And although I was not expecting to be, I was completely homesick the entire first week of the trip, but it eventually got better as time went on.”

While the trip was very nerve-racking for Boyd, she also got to experience new friendships, memories and destinations while taking in a different culture.

“My favorite part of it all was visiting the Imperial War Museum in Duxford for an engineering class,” Boyd said. “I got to see the Concord, which is a very impressive plane that is just all around awesome.”