New theatre director takes stage

Allison+Underhill+is+the+new+theatre+director.+

Trinity Norwood

Allison Underhill is the new theatre director.

Rylee LeVasseur, Writer

New theatre director Allison Underhill recently made her debut as the high school theatre teacher, and has taken her directing role in stride so far. Underhill said she intends to create a safe, friendly learning environment for her students and hopes to have a positive impact on the school community. Her goals for the year are not only to do well in UIL One Act Play, but to create a place for students to be themselves and to celebrate each person’s unique talents.

Underhill’s previous theatre experience includes an extensive list of shows, in which she has both performed and acted as a technician. She has taught theatre classes for five years prior to this year and has directed shows that have competed in contests such as, “The Tommy Tune Awards.”

I’ve gotten to do some pretty cool things.

“I’ve gotten to do some pretty cool things,” Underhill said. “But I’m very excited to be back home teaching the thing I love most, just sharing my knowledge and passion.”

The experienced director grew up in Port Arthur, Texas and graduated from Nederland High School. She then continued her education at Lamar State College. During her time there, Underhill earned her bachelor’s degree in theatre along with her teaching certification.

“My students are constantly teaching me things,” Underhill said. “I love being able to get a new perspective, to see the world differently.”

According to Underhill, positivity is a large part of her mindset as a teacher and as a person. She also believes in the importance of kindness, and the impact it can have on other’s lives. She hopes that her actions will influence her students to think that way as well. As for the future of the theatre department, Underhill invites students to take part in future activities to increase involvement and build the department into a family atmosphere where all are welcome.

My students are constantly teaching me things.

“I hope my students learn many things from me, about both on and off-stage aspects,” Underhill said. “I hope they learn to be appreciative, and that no one can succeed without the help of others. I plan to create something we can all be proud of, something we can look back on with no regrets.”