First year teacher takes on new challenges

Brett+Nicholson+enjoyed+her+first+year+at+LCM.+

Trinity Norwood

Brett Nicholson enjoyed her first year at LCM.

Rylee LeVasseur, Writer

Each year, teachers learn new things from the circumstances and students that every semester brings. Not only must a teacher pass on knowledge of the subject they teach, but also life lessons. Algebra I and II teacher Brett Nicholson began her career at the high school in fall of 2017. This eventful school year has left her well-prepared for her future, and has left her students ready for the challenges they may face.

Nicholson graduated from McNeese with a major in Chemical Engineering, and was the president of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers while there. Although she taught math this year, next year she plans to teach engineering. Nicholson said that aside from math, she hopes her students learn how to face life struggles and how to overcome them.

“I continue to learn new things every day from my students,” Nicholson said. “I hope that when they leave my class they have learned things from me too, and that they realize they are capable of more than they thought previously.”

Nicholson used her humor and willingness to face new challenges to connect with her students. She has bonded with her students and loves getting to know everyone. She said that working one on one with individuals was one her favorite parts of her job.

“I enjoy working with kids,” Nicholson said. “I love getting to know each person and working with them, just getting them to realize what they can do.”

After such an eventful year, with a hurricane, multiple schedule changes, and a lot of adjusting, it is safe to say that Nicholson had a successful first year. Nicholson has had a positive impact on not only her students, but also the school community.

Outside of school, Nicholson enjoys riding and fixing dirt bikes. She has been racing since she was two, and her father owned a dirt bike track. She also enjoys tennis, theatre, and attending school events.  She believes in living life to the fullest, and hopes to continue traveling in the future.

“I think that it’s important to actually live through every day, not just fall into a routine,” Nicholson said. “Each moment has a purpose.”