Sophomore to embark on trip around world

Sydney Bowman, Writer

Freshman Kaila Lowe is a student who is involved in more than just band; she has been a Girl Scout for almost ten years. Lowe has been to places around Texas for Girl Scout trips, but in the summer of 2020 she is going further than she ever has. She and her fellow Girl Scouts will be taking a trip to Europe. They will be visiting cities such as London, Paris, Florence, Rome, Pompeii, Sorrento, and Capri for an educational tour. 

In London, they will get to see the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace. In Paris, they will get to see the Eiffel Tower and the Notre Dame Cathedral. In Florence, they will visit the Pizza Della Signori and Ponte Vecchio. In Rome, they will take a guided tour of the Vatican City, visit the Sistine Chapel, and visit the Colosseum. In Pompeii, they will tour the ruins. In Capri, they will take a guided boat tour with a local expert. 

“There are so many things I’m looking forward to with this trip,” Lowe said. “If we are being honest, I most look forward to spending this amazing trip with my mom and my fellow Girl Scouts. This organization has been such a big part of my life, and I can’t think of a better way to spend the first part of my last year in Girl Scouts.” 

Lowe and the Girl Scouts have done many things other than trips. They have also set out free libraries in front of Mauriceville Middle School for children who can’t afford their own books. 

“This girl came up to me and thanked me for putting the books there, because now she can read more books and told me how her little brother loved the books she got from the children’s library that I placed out there,” Lowe said. “That’s when I realized that this organization I am in is truly amazing. The opportunities I have and all the doors that have been opened by being in Girl Scouts has changed my mindset and it makes it easier for me do things like the little libraries.” 

The Europe trip will be for older and active Girl Scouts, like Lowe. Every few years they put out a sign up for girls to take these kinds of tours. 

“The trip will be 12 days which is the longest I have ever stayed away from home,” Lowe said. “My mom, being a troop leader, was asked to chaperone the trip so she decided it would be a nice senior trip for me.”