Staff writer Brice Sylestine shares his opinion of the importance of preschool teachers.

Trinity Norwood

Trinity Norwood

Brice Sylestine, Writer

Math, Science, and History are the core subjects through elementary and high school. They are widely considered to be essential knowledge that is crucial to learn in school. Although they are very important, some of the most useful and beneficial knowledge is obtained before the years of Algebra, Chemistry, and U.S. History. These are problem solving skills, morals, behavior, and social skills. The huge task to instill vital knowledge to young children, which requires enormous amounts of dedication, patience, and sacrifice, is bestowed upon preschool teachers around the country.

Something I have heard expressed before is that preschool teachers are not teachers at all. Despite the huge responsibilities they carry, and the sacrifice and dedication put into their job, they are often underappreciated. Often times they are expected to do a job that is just as if not more important than any other position in education. The lessons they teach are ones that can be just as useful when you are five, as when you are 35. They will often be carried through decades and passed down to future generations. Preschool teachers are most definitely teachers and much more at the same time. They are a helping hand, a mentor, and almost an extended family member.

Social skills are developed over time and by interacting with others. Preschool is a great place to begin developing these skills. Preschool teachers will help these by encouraging interactions among children and working together. They also help develop a child’s social skills with adults. They make an effort to connect with each child and help them grow. They uplift when needed and will help correct wrong behavior.

There are many responsibilities laid upon a preschool teacher. One that is very often taken for granted is teaching young children manners and morals. If you look beyond the countless coloring sheets, worksheets for numbers and letters, and the books read as children are circled on a rug around their teacher, you will see the morals and behaviors that are being taught. Although it may seem small, the lessons and the activities help subtly discipline, and prepare them for the many years of schooling ahead. Many children books and stories contain lessons and morals. Aesop’s Fables for example, have imaginative elements and characters which capture the attention of children. These fables such as Ant and the Grasshopper are enjoyable yet have a narrative about ethics, morals, and problem solving.

My mom has been a preschool teacher for over a decade. Over the many years, she has sacrificed a lot. She has worked many early morning and late afternoon shifts watching over other people’s children that she has built a connection with. In doing this, she has missed things such as my soccer games, Saturday get-togethers, and many meals around the dinner table. She comes home very tired from the hard work and often wanting just to take a nap. Despite these challenges she almost always accepts more hours at a moment’s notice. The demanding hours causes cancellations of plans and missed opportunities to bond with family.

Preschool teachers are overworked, underpaid, and deserve recognition for their positive impact on children. Preschool teachers work just as hard if not harder than those in higher education. People like my mom and many others need to be shown appreciation and love for their daily sacrifices. They are molding the future of our society which is one of the most important jobs in the world.