One Act Play advances to state

The+One+Act+Play+cast+and+crew+gets+ready+to+depart+for+State.+

Clark Reed

The One Act Play cast and crew gets ready to depart for State.

Emily Glover, Writer

Just this past weekend, One Act Play traveled to the UIL State meet in Austin to perform their award winning play of  William Shakespeare’s “The Tempest” in front of 1,500 people. This was only the fourth time LCM has advanced to state in school history. Their performance placed eighth out of 185 plays in the 4A conference. To get to state, they had to place in the top three out of six plays at District, Bi-District, Area, and in the top two at Region.

“Just being at state is a huge honor, not only for me, but for the students and the school,” Theater Director Clark Reed said.”It put us on the map! So yes, even though we were not in the top three, I can definitely say I am satisified with the results.”

The students have been practicing since December and have remained committed ever since. From having practice every day in class and after school for two hours, three days a week, to Saturday rehearsals and critiques, really has shown how patient and dedicated these students are.

“I learned that it’s not about winning, it’s the journey that we’ve been on and how much we have accomplished,” theater member Rhys Howeth said. “Shakespeare is hard to do, but as a company we pulled through. We were hit by a storm, and for One Act, we became the storm. Hence the Tempest!”

Even though the cast has done a job well done continuously throughout this competition, the cast did have some diction and enunciation issues. According to Reed, Shakespeare language can be difficult to read, much less being able to speak it loudly, clearly, and in character. Although, considering where they started and ended up, he believed their biggest problem was ultimately a small one.

“Our theater group is full of many first time members who took the challenges that come with One Act Play, and rose to the table,” theater member Alora Jones said. “They are very talented, hardworking, loving, and a dedicated group. This group is a family. Everyone works with one another with the common goal to have a play done as well as it can be done in mind. Mr. Reed has only been our director since last year, and took us to State which is outstanding. It shows that he is a talented man that knows what he is doing.”

The only seniors in the cast were Jones, Ashley Knight, Dalton Teeler, Emily Warner, who were certainly leaders that set an example to the rest and showing their dedication, Reed explains. Although, if they had one true leader of the group it would be their stage manager, sophomore Ashley Boze. She kept everything together and in order by working hours before, during, and after rehearsal.

“I think what most people don’t know about theater is all the hard work and dedication that it truly requires,” Boze said. “It’s not just the two hour rehearsals after school. It requires working on your own, and to really better yourself instead of just settling on good enough. Also, you have to learn to be okay with embarrassing yourself and trying things that you might not like.”

In conclusion, the cast has formed not only many friendships, which contain much care and love for one another, but a family. By being an actor, or even a technician, the students still became attached and say they will always cherish that feeling.  Some members say they will never forget what this willing team has accomplished in these past few months.

“For the play itself, I cannot choose one single part of the play that is my favorite,” Reed said. “So many parts made me laugh, made me cry, and made me say “wow”. I think my favorite part of the process was our department becoming a family. Everyone in this group genuinely cares about one another, loves one another, and wants each other’s success.  For when all is done it‘s the love that remains.”