Winter Guard prepares for showcase

Members+of+Winter+Guard+are+preparing+for+their+upcoming+showcase.+

Trinity Norwood

Members of Winter Guard are preparing for their upcoming showcase.

Erika Cook, Writer

Throwing a large, metal pole at the risk of hitting one’s face gives no fear to the students involved in this year’s Winter Guard.

This year’s Winter Guard will host a showcase at 5 p.m. on April 21 in the Bear Cave. Sponsor Brooke Tant said this event is open to the public and admission is free of cost.

“We are doing a show called Neverland based on all the different Peter Pan stories,” Tant said. “It opens with the fairies waking up in Pixie Hollow and moves through many of the characters you would find in Neverland to basically give you the grand tour. It is a wonderful show and the members are very excited to perform!”

Winter Guard consists of interpreting music while using synchronized works of flags, sabres, rifles, and dance. The members depend on each other to learn their part so the show may be executed correctly.

“Winter Guard is different from marching season because there is no band involved,” Tant said. “It’s only guard members the entire time showing their talents. We also perform inside on a large mat rather than on the field outside.”

This activity gives the opportunity to those who are not in band or in Color Guard during marching season, to see if this is something they would enjoy next marching season.

“I really enjoy learning new things with a group of people who have a passion for what they do, and care about the people with them,” junior percussionist and current Winter Guard member Kaleb Swarers said.

After marching season, Color Guard members have the choice to be a part of Winter Guard. Many choose to stay, while some may choose to go back to playing their instrument during the second semester. All of those participating are passionate about what they do as they show off all they have learned.

“My favorite thing about Winter Guard is showing off individual talents,” Tant said. “Before we show Neverland with all of the members, we let members perform solos and duets for the audience. This allows them to show their own choreography and really have creative, passionate moments with something they love doing. It is fun to see them showing off their talents individually.”

These students have been working diligently for months to improve their skills and are excited to show off these skills to their family and friends. Tant said she wants the students to have an awesome experience and be proud of their performance.

“The members have worked so hard for this show,” Tant said. “I want everyone to come to the showcase and appreciate what they have created and worked so hard for. They deserve every bit of applause they receive.”