Lady Bears to play in Bi-District

Sophomore+Cassie+Blackmon+moves+the+ball+for+the+Lady+Bears.+

Karly Rogers

Sophomore Cassie Blackmon moves the ball for the Lady Bears.

The Lady Bear Soccer team is looking to make another deep run into the playoffs after finishing district play with a 6-2 record. The team will play Diboll in the Bi-District round at 4 p.m. Thursday, March 29 at Jasper.

According to senior captain Kourtney Baldwin, the team started the season off with one main goal in mind: to be co-district champs for the second year in a row or solely claim the district championship title. Even though the team is relatively young, they managed to stay on top this season with an overall record of 10-7-2.

“We lost a lot of seniors last year so we definitely struggled filling their spots but everyone has stepped up to help make it work,” Baldwin said.

Last season, the Lady Bears were one step away from playing in the State tournament and several of the returning players are looking to get just as far this year.

“I want the underclassmen to feel the excitement I felt during playoffs last year,” Baldwin said. “I’m determined to get us there again.”

The team has started certain traditions to help keep them motivated throughout the season.

“We have wrist bands that we write motivational quotes on for each game,” Baldwin said. “We all get mustard seeds to represent faith in ourselves.”

Baldwin also said the Lady Bears take part in certain team bonding activities before they start warming up to create a stronger bond on the field.

“I know we can improve a lot more this year if we believe in ourselves,” sophomore Cassie Blackmon said.

Tickets for the game Thursday are $4 for adults and $2 for students.