• 2018 yearbook pick-up is Aug. 20 from 1:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. in the Bear Cave gym

• 10th, 11th, and 12th orientation is Aug. 20 from 1:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.

• 9th grade orientation is Aug. 20 from 10:15 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.

Teacher shares passion for helping others

High+school+teacher+Jerri+K.+Snyder+helped+provide+hygiene+kits+to+those+in+foreign+countries.+
High school teacher Jerri K. Snyder helped provide hygiene kits to those in foreign countries.

Jerri K. Snyder

Jerri K. Snyder

Grace Tally, Writer

For many people, living in different countries for months at a time could be nerve wracking, but for teacher Jerri Snyder, the importance of spreading the knowledge of Jesus Christ is something worth leaving home for.

After graduating from college, Snyder partnered with various ministry industries in Dubai, Germany, Brazil, China, as well as Sudan. While she was in different countries, she was able to help many migrant workers in Dubai by giving hygiene kits which also held a phone card with minutes on them so that they could speak to their families. In China, she passed out literature to the locals. In Sudan, she played with village children and told them stories from the Bible. In Brazil, Snyder stayed at a children’s home and helped further their education.

”Each location had the same purpose with a different need to meet,” Snyder said. ”We wanted to help while we were there and to share the knowledge of Jesus Christ.”

Traveling so far away can come with many different chalenges, including learning how to speak in proper English for translating purposes, traveling alone in a place where she did not know the launguage, and being so far away from family. Snyder was able to communicate with her family about once a week from satellite phone, or by connecting to Wi-Fi.

“I researched the culture and laws of the places I visited, especially when moving to Dubai,” Snyder said. “I needed to know the proper way to dress, speak, and how to drive.”

Living in places that are less privileged can result in experiences that change one’s life forever, and can help someone realize what they are truly grateful for.

”I met people who truly challenged my faith and actions,” Snyder said. “I am so grateful for all the opportunities to travel. I came home with new eyes and a new heart for my country. I realized the needs we were meeting overseas were not at all different than the needs we have in America. There are children that need to be protected and loved, families that need help meeting their basic needs, and we all need to know the hope that only Jesus Christ can offer.”