Shimmying to Sweepstakes

The Honey Bears competed in the Coastal Dance Championship at Goose Creek Memorial High School.

Kimberly Scott

Kimberly Scott

Emily Glover, Writer

Just recently the Honey Bears competed in their last competition of the year at the Coastal Dance Championship hosted at Goose Creek Memorial High School. The girls won several awards due to their continuous effort they have put in.

“My goal going into the year was to improve and I believe I have met that goal,” Honey Bear Sydney Peet said.

The officers of the team are senior Tilor Armfield, senior Allison Ball, senior Albanie Calais, junior Daisy Sutton, and junior Harli Foreman. Accoring to their advisor Kimberly Scott, they have done an exceptional job this year cleaning dances and working on technique. The girls competed four solos, one trio, and six team routines. The trio included Armfield, Calais, and Foreman. The 11/12 grade Trio won the First Place Championship.

“I have learned a lot from being a Honey Bear,” Peet said. “For example, a dance routine being a team effort, and having to work together in order to look good.”

The girls received some critiques from the last competition that focused on timing and spacing. Although, they worked on those skills continuously in practice and are very pleased with the adjustments they made. The team also won a Sweepstakes Award, which means three or more team routines scored 90/100 points or higher. The Contemporary, Hip-hop, Lyrical, and Military each earned a First Place Championship in their category. The Jazz and Flash-dance routines earned an Honorable Mention.

“One thing that has come a long way, but could still use some work is turns,” Scott said. “Our single pirouettes are clean, but our doubles and fouettes could be better.”

The Honey Bears also received a Judges’ Award for Excellent Overall Presentation. Ten Honey Bears competed in the Miss High Kick Competition and Peet was in the top eight, allowing her to have advanced to Finals.  Scott was very satisfied with the results of the competition by the performance exceeding her expectations.

“This group has worked together better than any other group I have ever coached,” Scott said. “I will truly miss the fun that we have had together and the stellar performances they have delivered.”