• 2018 yearbook pick-up is Aug. 20 from 1:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. in the Bear Cave gym

• 10th, 11th, and 12th orientation is Aug. 20 from 1:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.

• 9th grade orientation is Aug. 20 from 10:15 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.

Tennis teams prepare for district

Freshmen+Colton+Smith+and+Cameron+Smith+placed+second+in+their+bracket+at+the+Hamshire+Fannett+tournament.+
Freshmen Colton Smith and Cameron Smith placed second in their bracket at the Hamshire Fannett tournament.

Cory Parsons

Cory Parsons

Brice Sylestine, Writer

The LCM Tennis teams have both had a winning start to the season. The JV and Varsity teams started off the season by competing at Lamar University. Freshman Cameron Smith had an 8-3 win in the consolation bracket which allowed him to win his first tournament. Sophomore Jared Pierce and Bella Rogers won 9-7 in a mixed doubles bracket at the same tournament, while Dakota Posey and Blake Marshall won the boys doubles consolation with an 8-3 victory.

At the Hamshire Fannett tournament on Feb. 8, Smith and Colton Smith took second place in their bracket, while Sophomore Matthew Brown and Julia Iles won first place in theirs.

Sophomores Chrisleigh Longlois and Gavin Fountain recently placed third at a tournament after beating Jasper 8-6. This is Longlois’ second year to play tennis and she is currently on varsity.

“I enjoy being able to play with and against my friends,” she said. “After a tournament we talk about what we can improve on and the next week at practice that is what I work on, practicing my weakest skills helps prepare me for the next tournament.”

According to Longlois the weather can make practicing challenging because it has been raining so much lately. She said a typical tournament day starts around 6:30 am with practice and warm-ups. Her team usually leaves around 7 am and the tournament usually begins at 8 am.

“You  never know when you will be called to play so you always have to be prepared,” she said. “We don’t have refs to watch the game and make calls, so we keep up with the score. If you win, you advance to the next level and play another team.”

Junior Grace Walters has been on the JV team for two years now and is currently working on improving her game.

“I have yet to win a medal, but for sure getting my back hand and improving has been somewhat of an accomplishment,” she said. “I have fun just playing tennis. The coach is pretty cool and my teammates are fun and encouraging.”

The Bears and Lady Bears will travel to Kelly on March 8 and 9 to compete in their next tournament.