Softball swings into season

The+softball+team+is+beginning+their+season+with+high+goals+in+mind.+

VYPE

The softball team is beginning their season with high goals in mind.

Emily Glover, Writer

This season the Lady Bear Softball team has a goal of winning the state championship trophy. According to head coach Dena Adkins, the team has great chemistry and has learned that in order to get the job done, it takes effort from everyone on the team.

“By the end of the season, I of course, hope to win district undefeated, go deep in the playoffs, and make it all the way to Austin,” Adkins said.

Some goals Adkins would like to meet for the Lady Bears’ next game would be to always play with passion and not play down to the level of their opponent. She wants the team to play the best way they can every time they step on the field.

“You never see a game as a simple game, regardless if you’re winning ten to zero,” sophomore Olivia Leavings said. “You focus or play just as hard in a difficult or simple game.”

Adkins said that some of the leaders such as junior Renna Toomey, junior Brianna Frenzel, and senior Emily Landry lead in their own unique ways. Adkins knows her group is obsessed with the sport, which is important to her.

“My favorite part of playing softball is the fact that we are always laughing,” Landry said. “Our team gets along really well and that’s what helps us be successful.”

The team practices as much as they can, weather permitting. Every time they practice, they work on the basics and fundamentals. The girls also put a lot of time in individually. They attend batting lessons, pitching lessons, and fielding lessons.

“I prepare for a game with lots of practice under my belt,” junior Ally White said. “My best memory of playing softball is getting so close to my teammates and building that unbreakable bond that will take us all the way.”

The Lady Bears will play the Jasper Lady Bulldogs tonight at 7 p.m. on the home field, following the Junior Varsity game at 5 p.m.