Just swinging it

Freshman shines on golf course

Freshman Jack Burke poses with his father after winning a recent tournament.

Courtesy of Jack Burke

Bayleigh Swanton, Features Editor

In high school, it can sometimes be hard to adjust and get involved in something you enjoy wholeheartedly. However, freshman Jack Burke found his stride when he was still a toddler and is still dedicated to one sport.

Burke has been playing golf ever since he could remember; his father introduced him to the sport when he was very young. He remembers riding around the golf course with his father and this is where his love for the sport began.

“My dad always played golf,” Burke said.

I can remember him putting me in a car seat in the golf cart while he played, and it all just started from there.

— Burke

While golf may seem like a very seamless sport, there is a lot of preparation that goes into it. Burke spends most of his free time practicing and playing in tournaments in order to become a better player and also grow closer to his goals. Burke is always pushing himself to be a better player every day.

“All I want to do is win,” Burke said. “If I’m not winning, I’m not satisfied.”

Throughout his golfing career, Burke has won a total of 129 tournaments and plans on winning many more. Aside from playing on the school’s Varsity team, Burke also plays in an outside league and enjoys many games with his father and his father’s friends. Burke’s favorite thing about the sport is how calming and intense a single game can be. He enjoys how he is able to do what he loves, while also being outside and connecting with others.

“It can be rough sometimes,” Burke said. “But, it is also as calm as you can imagine. I love being in the nature. It’s just so pretty out there and golfing is just so much fun.”

When Burke gets older, he plans on majoring in PGM [Professional Golf Management], and wants to become a professional golfer and play in the PGA [Professional Golf Association] tour. Burke has been working toward the same goals his whole life, and with the help of his family, he has all of the support he needs to reach his goals. Burke’s dad has always been by his side during all of his games and is always there, pushing him to improve every day.

“My dad has done everything to help me get better,” Burke said.

I always do my best to make him proud.

— Burke