• Boys basketball playoff game this Friday at 7 p.m. at PNG

• Student vs. staff quiz bowl competition is Feb. 23 at 3 p.m.

Love has no boundaries

Staff writer shares adoption journey

Sophomore Rylee LeVasseur says that love is not measured by blood, but by heart.

L. Fruge

L. Fruge

Rylee LeVasseur, Writer

When I was little, I always felt a sense of security that came with being a part of a family. I knew that when school was over, my mom would be waiting in the parent pick-up line and my dad would get home shortly after I did. A day would never go by that I didn’t run out to his truck and meet him on his way inside. That was my life, and it was safe.

A few years later, after my parents divorced, my mom sat me down and told me we needed to have a mature conversation. I immediately thought back on every single bad thing I had ever done, because what else could that mean? Did she find out about me staying up past my bedtime? Little did I know, I would find out that I had been adopted at birth, and that I had a little sister that was adopted by a different family.

At first when my mom told me, I was angry. I felt betrayed, like I had been lied to my whole life. Being young, I couldn’t quite grasp the concept that being adopted by my parents was for my own good. I thought that maybe my parents didn’t love me as much as they would if we were related by blood, but I was theirs regardless.

My parents cared for me more than anything, and I know now that their love for me isn’t measured by blood. As I grew older, I slowly began to understand that sometimes God’s plan involves heartache and confusion, but everything will make sense in the end.

My biological little sister Jolie was adopted by another caring family, who went on to adopt a second child. Jolie was diagnosed with a rare heart condition at birth, and has since had multiple surgeries to keep her heart functioning. Had she not been adopted by her supportive parents, she may not have received the medical attention she needed.

Every year, 51,000 kids are put up for adoption in the U.S. alone. Only 59 percent of those children are actually adopted. Every child deserves a loving family. It is important to consider adoption when planning to start a family. Being adopted has impacted my life in many ways, but only for the better. It has allowed me to realize that love has nothing to do with bloodlines, but with the relationships made in my life.

1 Comment

One Response to “Love has no boundaries”

1. Erika Cook on February 2nd, 2018 9:33 am

Great story Rylee! Seriously loved it!

[Reply]

*

• Love has no boundaries

LCM alum inspires students

• Love has no boundaries

Band attends solo and ensemble

• Love has no boundaries

Powerlifting teams prepare for Regionals

• Love has no boundaries

Bears to face Diboll in first round

• Love has no boundaries

Bear of the Week: Nick Mugleston

• Love has no boundaries

Seniors to join Navy after graduation

• Love has no boundaries

Just swinging it

• Love has no boundaries

Quiz bowl to hold students v. staff contest

• Love has no boundaries

Boys soccer prepares for district

• Love has no boundaries

Foreign exchange student cherishes time in Texas

Love has no boundaries