Lady Bears clinch playoff spot

Sophomore+Chelsea+Perry+is+one+of+the+returning+varsity+Lady+Bears.+

Daisy Sutton

Sophomore Chelsea Perry is one of the returning varsity Lady Bears.

Brice Sylestine, Writer

The girls basketball team recently clinched a playoff spot with a 52-38 win over the WOS Lady Mustangs Friday night and currently holds a 5-2 record in district play. According to head coach Linda Riddick, the team has faced some of its most challenging opponents in district action.

“We have a very tough district, but that will help us prepare for the playoffs,” Riddick said.

The team’s goals for the season are to make the playoffs and to go as far as possible. The biggest challenge so far has been focusing on basketball, and to have everyone on the team want to achieve the same goals.

“Our normal routines are so far from normal with our half days, block scheduling, and everything that our players and coaches are dealing with at home since Harvey,” Riddick said.

According to Riddick, the Lady Bears always show up with a smile and a willingness to improve. Riddick said her team is full of hard workers that have overcome so many difficult situations in the past few months. The team is led by seniors Jacie Miller, Asjah Harper-Kelly and Shelby Linscomb, as well as returning varsity players Karly Rogers, Genesis Barclay and Chelsea Perry. New additions to the team this year are Katelyn Fawvor, Danielle Pelt, Brielle Butler, Kodee Ferguson, Zaria Johnson and Zoe Levens.

“I hope that our players take from their time in athletics that to be strong young women, not only physically, but mentally as well,” Riddick said. “I hope that they also learn the values of friendships and teammates who become family and rely on each other. This is such a hard working group and are beginning to gel as a team. I know that they will do great things this season. Everyone needs to come out to watch and support the Lady Bear Basketball team.”

The Lady Bears will host the Bridge City Lady Cardinals tonight in The Grove. The freshmen team will play at 5 p.m., followed by the JV at 6:15 p.m. and the Varsity at 7:30 p.m.