National Honor Society invites upcoming inductees

Melanie Claybar

Upcoming inductees are excited about being tapped.

Erika Cook, Writer

Last month, several juniors and seniors were tapped and invited to join the Don James chapter of the National Honor Society. NHS recognizes students who value the four pillars: scholarship, service, leadership, and character. These students are great examples of these characteristics and are also leaders at the school.

“We have a great group of inductees this year,” NHS sponsor Carly Derouen said. “These members are hard-working and dedicated students who value their education and have been recognized by their teachers for maintaining and upholding outstanding leadership and character qualities.”

The officers have done much to help the NHS organization and are looking forward to the upcoming inductees. They are ready to make a difference in the school and community.

“I’m excited that I get to be one of the leaders of the society and represent as a National Honor Society member,” NHS project chairman Lani Daniels said.

The National Junior Society has many plans for this school year, including many fundraisers.

“National Honor Society helps raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society through the ‘Pennies for Patients’ fundraiser every year,” Derouen said. “It’s great to see these kids out helping better their community and being leaders in all aspects of the word.”

The Candlelight Induction Ceremony will be held at 6:30 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 27 in the high school auditorium.

“I’m excited about the induction,” Daniels said. “It’s such a nice evening with such supporting family and friends.”

There were a total of 58 students who were tapped, but they have the choice whether or not to accept the invitation to be inducted.

“I feel that each of the juniors and seniors entering into NHS this year are great representatives of the society,” Daniels said. “I feel that each upcoming inductee is very deserving of their postition and will do great things this year!”