• Semester exams will be Dec. 21 and Dec. 22

Falling for autumn

Junior Emily Glover shares her favorite parts about the fall season.

L. Fruge

L. Fruge

Emily Glover, Writer

Ah, the sweet smell of pumpkin spice and cinnamon…fall has officially arrived. It might not feel like it outside, but that’s just Southeast Texas for you. The fall season is my most favorite time of year. Some of the best holidays are during this time, the cool fronts start to come in, and of course all of the delicious foods are a must-have for the fall.

One of the best parts about fall is Halloween. It’s that one time a year where you can actually dress up as anything or anyone you want to be. Another activity to do that is fun in October is going to a pumpkin patch and picking out the most perfect pumpkin to carve, and then turning it into a jack-o’-lantern. Another great fall holiday is Thanksgiving. Of course it’s all about being thankful and what not, but can we talk about the food? I mean come on, the pumpkin pie, the the warm rolls with melted butter on them, the turkey, and don’t even get me started on the mashed potatoes with gravy.

Now along with the weather getting somewhat cooler, I can finally wear comfy sweaters, and scarves. Scarves are one of my favorite accessories to wear. I’ve always thought they have looked pretty with any warm outfit. Also, boots are super cute and trendy to wear during the fall season.

Another thing I enjoy doing is burning a fantastic smelling fall candle. Now don’t get me wrong, I love any candle with a passion. However, there is just something about fall scents that I’m obsessed with. Bath and Body Works has some of the best smelling fall candles, and I’m always thrilled to smell their new line of fall scents every year.

Then there are the rad movies that can’t go without mentioning. “Hocus Pocus” and “Halloween Town” are throwbacks that I’ll never forget. I’m a movie fanatic, and so when I see a really great movie, I’m going to watch it until I get tired of it and then some more after that. These movies are fall classics, and it’s only right if they are played around this time of year.

With the changing of summer into fall, the leaves on the trees turn to gorgeous colors making your yard scream fall. The reds, oranges, yellows, and browns make such a pretty combination. They make for some of the best pictures, and there is just something about the colors that makes me so happy.

Finally, there is nothing like staying inside on a cool, rainy day, snuggled up with a good book. I don’t read often but when I do, I need to be in warm, comfortable spot. Another pleasant fall thing to do is sit near a fire while roasting marshmallows to make s’mores. These are just some of the many activities I enjoy doing during the fall time. Sadly fall is almost over, but I will definitely make the last few weeks of it count.