Changing for the better: the benefits of block schedule

The+high+school+has+recently+switched+to+a+block+schedule.+

The high school has recently switched to a block schedule.

Emily Glover, Writer

Recently, the school has had to switch from a traditional eight-period schedule to an alternating A/B block schedule. For several years, the school has had a traditional schedule, but to enable the middle school students to attend in the morning hours, a majority of high school students have had to adjust to the new change.

The block scheduling is much more beneficial for students and teachers. There are many pros to the schedule, as in actually having time to sit down and think, rather than having to hurry and rush to get ready for eight classes all over again day after day.

The new schedule has introduced so much more time to get homework and class assignments completed. In the past, sometimes students would have homework in multiple classes and all be due the next day. This caused a lot of unwanted stress and anxiety for many. Now, students have an entire extra day to get their homework completed in time to where it is not so overwhelming. Teachers also receive extra time to grade their students’ work.

This is an experience that can help students get somewhat of a feel for how college is going to be like. Most college students attend only a few classes each day for longer periods of time, unlike a high school schedule where students attend eight periods per day for 45 minutes. Being on a block schedule is definitely a good way to get ready for the future.

Also, spending more time in each class gives students the advantage of having one-on-one time with the teacher. By the time the teacher is finished giving instruction, a lot of students might have questions, but the teacher most likely won’t have enough time to get to every student by the time class is over. There are tutorials for this reason, but it would be more convenient to know everything needed to complete the assignment in class.

Altogether, these are just a few of the many reasons why the school should continue having a block schedule.  The old schedule has its advantages, but it may be time for something new and different.