Varsity football prepares for district

Karly Rogers

Senior Katon Brown runs the ball for the Bears against Woodville.

Rylee LeVasseur, Writer

The LCM varsity football team has been working hard to adjust to the new schedule and prepare for this season. So far, the team has a 1-2 record for the season and will start district play this week.

The players and coaches have faced some challenges along the way, including the usual trials and changes due to the recent hurricane. Such challenges are also unique to each individual player. Sophomore Landon Bearden said that being a team means pushing himself and his teammates. Also, being an underclassman on a varsity team means that every day he must go to practice and compete to prove he deserves his number.

“The biggest challenge to me so far is getting everyone on the same page,” senior Katon Brown said. “It’s important to get the team chemistry together.”

Each week, the players and coaches prepare for the Friday Night Lights. Such preparations include early mornings, long practices, and watching film of the opposing team’s plays so that they know what to expect. There are also other ways the team prepares for each games aside from hard work.

We played for each other and not for ourselves.

— Katon Brown

“We all bond by hanging out and messing with each other,” Brown said. “It’s like family time.”

According to sophomore quarterback Ethan McCollum, the team’s goal for the season is making it to playoffs. While striving to reach this goal, they are making lifelong memories along the way.

“When we played Orangefield, we played for each other and not for ourselves,” Brown said.

The Bears will return to action when they face the Silsbee Tigers at 7 p.m. this Friday, Oct. 13 at Battlin’ Bear Stadium.