Bear of the Week: Chandler Barr

Trinity Norwood

Chandler Barr is an active member of UIL and band.

Erika Cook, Writer

Mathematician, musician, and aspiring engineer, senior Chandler Barr is the Bear of the Week. Barr transferred to LCM his junior year of high school and has basically taken the reigns since then.

He has excelled in more than a couple of UIL events during his time here. At last year’s district meet, he placed second in Mathematics, second in Number Sense, first in Biology, and second in Science. At the Regional meet, he placed fifth in Mathematics, first in team for Mathematics, and fifth in Science. He was also a State Qualifier and placed fourth in team for Mathematics at the State meet.

“Since Thomas King graduated, Chandler is now the leader of the UIL Math teams,” teacher and UIL sponsor Terry Morris said. “I hope he will be able to lead all three Math teams to District, Regionals, and State Championships. So, no pressure.”

Not only is Barr active in UIL Academics, he also plays trombone and baritone in the marching band. Last year, Barr was able to go to State with the band and placed 11th out of all the 4A class marching bands.

“My favorite memory while in high school was probably going to State in marching band, even if it was a little disappointing,” Barr said.

As Barr’s last year of high school rolls out, he has many prospects that will help him for college after recently receiving The National Merit Scholar. His PSAT scores were so impressive that he was able to receive a scholarship to any college of his choosing to help with his dreams of becoming an engineer, which has laid the groundwork for his college education.

“I am very impressed by the way he competes,” Morris said. “He has a great work ethic. He holds himself to a high standard. He is striving very hard to lead the UIL teams and I know it should be a great year.”

As Barr continues his last year of high school with the potential to make a great list of last’s and even better firsts, he is cheered on by those around him.

“I would tell (Chandler) to take advantage of the time you have now,” Morris said. “The song ‘Last Time For Everything’ comes to mind. This is his senior year and there will be a lot of lasts from UIL to band competitions. The last thing that anyone wants to have when looking back is regret. Now is the time to lay the foundation for a great year.”