New teacher returns to district

Holly+Kelley+teaches+a+grammar+lesson+to+one+of+her+English+classes.+

Trinity Norwood

Holly Kelley teaches a grammar lesson to one of her English classes.

Cheyenne Pucheta, Writer

The sound of kids chatting in the halls, the scribbling of pens and pencils, and the constant rush to get to class. These are just a few of the many things teachers see and hear every day and even though English teacher Holly Kelley is new to the district this year, she is no stranger to the classroom.

Before starting at LCM this fall, Kelley taught at the junior high and high school in Buna, as well as Nederland High School. She currently teaches STAAR English I, STAAR English II and English IV, and feels as if she is coming back into familiar territory.

“I went to elementary school at Little Cypress Elementary, so it’s a bit like I’m coming back home,” Kelley said. “Although I graduated from West Orange-Stark, I enjoyed being a student here and knew the school’s reputation was very good. After having taken a break from teaching, this was a great place to get back into the swing of it. I’ve really enjoyed the students, staff, and administration here.”

Kelley said one of the biggest adjustments she has had to make this year is being on a half-day instructional schedule and being responsible for student learning during that time. However, even through all the challenges of this school year, she has still felt welcomed by all.

It’s been great being a part of the LCM family.

“It’s been a really weird year so far, but it’s great to see so many people working together and helping each other get through the hurricane crisis,” she said. “Everyone here has been so helpful and kind. It’s been great being a part of the LCM family.”

When she is not teaching, Kelley said she enjoys reading, traveling, and going to the beach. She also likes to shoot guns at the gun range for target practice.

Even though the year has gotten off to a unique start, Kelley plans on helping her students succeed in every way possible.

“I want to be the kind of teacher that students feel comfortable talking with,” she said. “I also hope to encourage my students to do and be their very best selves.”