Sophomore makes All-State band

Sophomore+Kristian+Gordon+recently+made+the+All-State+Band.+

Sophomore Kristian Gordon recently made the All-State Band.

Savannah Crabtree, Editor

Sophomore Kristian Gordon recently competed in the ATSSB area competition and was the only LCM student to earn a place in the All-State band. At the area competition in Tyler, he and several other carefully selected individuals performed a recording for the State level. According to Gordon, practice and receiving help were some crucial factors in advancing to State. 

“In order to prepare for State, I practiced very often, even staying after school,” Gordon said. “It was a lot of work to make State.” 

The process of making State starts with earning a spot at Region. If a student can place high enough, they compete at Area. At Area, very few are chosen for each section, depending on the instrument and amount of people competing in each one. Around 30 baritones competed at Area and only two would be selected for State. Gordon placed second at Area, meaning he had to perform a recording to audition for the State level, where he earned a spot. 

According to Gordon, something many people do not realize about band is how much hard work and time is spent practicing to only improve one part of the music. 

“I end up practicing for hours, playing the same thing over and over, but it is so satisfying to see the improvement,” Gordon said. “There are two things I love most about band, and it has to be all the people I get to meet and be with as well as playing in concerts. It is so satisfying to hear all your hard work pay off.” 

Gordon said that he wants to play music for as long as he can. 

“I enjoy playing baritone because it has such a beautiful tone that is really fun to listen and play with,” Gordon said. “I truly do enjoy playing in a band and alone sometimes. I could even see myself still playing, long after I graduate college.” 

The students that earned a place in the All-State band are performing two excerpts from different music pieces. Gordon describes one excerpt as faster and more technical, while the second one is slower and more melodic. The All-State band will be performing these excerpts in the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center in San Antonio, Texas on Saturday, Feb. 11.