Cross country gets running start in new season

The+boys+and+girls+teams+recently+competed+at+the+Rick+Miller+Relays+at+Claiborne+Park.+

Miranda Keltz

The boys and girls teams recently competed at the Rick Miller Relays at Claiborne Park.

Charlie Davis, Writer

The boys and girls cross country teams have gotten off to a strong start this season and this may come as no surprise, especially after several successful performances in 2020. In previous years, the cross country team has been known for bringing home many awards, ribbons, and individual accolades to stock the shelves. They are ready to work hard in practice and at meets to continue this trend of winning and end the season higher than ever. 

Keeping team spirit high is a necessity for improvement. Having a positive team environment that nurtures morality is what helps the runners show up and show out. 

“The team atmosphere is good,” coach Dena Adkins said. “The kids all push and encourage each other to do their best and keep trying.” 

Goals are important for the team because having a goal gives them something to strive for. In cross country, the only person you are trying to beat is yourself, and having a goal to achieve a better time can give a clear path to success. 

The kids all push and encourage each other to do their best.

— Dena Adkins

“My goal is to have each kid running their best by the district meet and to keep them healthy throughout the season,” Adkins said. “I also expect some of the runners to advance to Regionals and then onto the State meet.” 

The long distances that the team runs every meet is a three-mile battle of will. Grab your popcorn and get ready for the show. 

“I am excited for all of them because they all make improvements every day and in the meets they really push themselves to run like they have never ran before,” Adkins said. “Annabelle Fisher is the returning District champ and has been to State both her freshman year and sophomore year and I believe she will repeat this year but with better times.” 

This season will not come without challenges, and the team is no stranger to these hurdles. Despite being faced with difficult circumstances, each runner rises above any obstacles in their way. 

“I believe the biggest hurdle we will face will be the weather (it’s very hot during practice) and when we get to District we will face some fast runners and we will have to perform at our best if we want to advance,” Adkins said. 

The teams will compete at the Cardinal Classic this Saturday, Sept. 4 at Claiborne Park.