Theatre to hold first performance of year

She Kills Monsters is the first theatre production of the year.

“She Kills Monsters” is the first theatre production of the year.

Rylee LeVassuer, Writer

The state-qualifying Bear Stage Players will proudly present their fall production of “She Kills Monsters,” written by Qui Nguyen and directed by Ashley Dennison. Show dates and times are Saturday, Dec. 15 and Monday, Dec. 17 at 7 p.m., and Sunday, Dec. 16 at 2 p.m. 

“She Kills Monsters” follows Agnes Evans (Ashlyn Ellis) in her struggle to get to know her little sister Tilly (Tyler Foreman) through a fictional Dungeon and Dragons adventure. Along the adventure, Agnes meets many different characters with special talents, each of whom the audience may relate to. The show features many fictional creatures as well as the central theme that one is not defined by one’s own limitations.

“I might be crazy to do a show this massive with such a short time frame, but I know [the actors] will rise to the occasion,” Dennison said. “I think the idea of acceptance is an important message to convey, and this show definitely covers it.”

Along with the excitement of fight scenes and unique music choices, the comical aspects of “She Kills Monsters” contrast the more serious real-life situations teenagers face daily, such as bullying and judgement.

“I believe that audience members, regardless of age, gender, etc. will be able to connect with at least one character,” Dennison said. “I hope overall the audience is able to take away our message, to not take things at face value but to get to know people for who they are, not who they appear to be.”

The students involved in the production have worked hard to create a unique and entertaining show, following a process including long rehearsals, great amounts of memorization, and overall dedication. Sophomore Karlie Wedel said that being involved in theatre has given her many opportunities and allowed her to become a more outgoing person.

“Being involved in theatre has taught me to go out of my comfort zone, explore my personality,” Wedel said. “It’s shown me that there’s no excuse to not be the best version of myself at all times, there’s no reason to limit myself. I’m just incredibly thankful to be a part of this program.”