• Student orientations will be held on Aug. 21

• First day of classes is Aug. 28

• "Meet the Bears" is Aug. 11 at 6 p.m. at the stadium

• Have a great summer!

Honey Bears dance their hearts out

The Honey Bears recently competed in San Antonio.

Kimberly Scott

Kimberly Scott

Emily Glover, Writer

This past weekend, the Honey Bears made a trip to Karen Wagner High School in San Antonio for their second competition this year. Each of the girls’ routines earned points for a Division 1 rating and a sweepstakes award. They also were successfully ranked fifth out of six places from their category for the American Dance and Drill Team competition. On top of that, they received the Gussie Nell Davis Award of Excellence.

While this being their first year competing, the girls did an impressive job in San Antonio, according to their second-year sponsor Kimberly Scott. By using the critiques from the judges at their last competition in Houston, the girls corrected their mistakes and improved on their routines to make sure they showed the judges how capable they were of doing outstandingly well.

“Their jazz and lyrical routines were the best I have ever seen them do in San Antonio because they stepped up the showmanship aspect,” Scott said. “I was so proud of their routines in both Houston and San Antonio. It was our first year to compete, so we learned a lot too.”

Watching the Honey Bears perform at football games, at halftime, or even the pep rallies may look easy but there is so much more to it than what one may think. Honey Bears must have the skills of rhythm, flexibility, and some dance skills, but more importantly they need to be willing to work with a team of girls that may or may not be their friend, put in practice time, and have a great attitude and the ability to accept constructive criticism.

“As a kid, I always loved watching the Honey Bears Drill Team show off their latest routine,” sophomore Honey Bear Daisy Sutton said. “This influenced me to go for my dream as a Honey Bear.”

This is Sutton’s second year of being a Honey Bear and she said her most favorite part of being one is the bus rides to football games because the team gets a bonding experience. Although being on the team is loads of excitement and enthusiasm, the most challenging part for Sutton is being held to everyone’s highest standards. She does hope to gain a better leadership role from being on the team, and has a personal goal for this year, which is to make her kick off height higher and to make officer.

“Being on the team has influenced my life so much that before I do anything I think, ‘What would my followers think about this?'” Sutton said.

Captain Juliann Jennings and co-captain Hanna Sadler are two of the many leaders on the team who have tremendously stepped up this year. More has been required of them than past officer lines and they have really led the team well. The team has also progressed quite a bit as well, by starting off the year on field routines which are usually more basic than competition routines. They have grown so much as they conquered difficult choreography and a totally new genre of lyrical dance.

“Directing the Honey Bears is a dream come true,” Scott said. “My favorite part is watching how excited the girls get after they have just delivered a stellar performance. It’s a great feeling as a dancer to nail a routine and even more rewarding as the Director.”