Boys soccer advances to playoffs

Junior+Seth+Brown+works+the+ball+down+the+field+for+the+Bears.+

Trinity Norwood

Junior Seth Brown works the ball down the field for the Bears.

Alora Jones, Writer

The Varsity Bear Soccer team is headed to playoffs after finishing district play with a 6-4 record and will face Lufkin Hudson the week following Spring Break.

Even though this year’s team has only four returning varsity players, they went into the season with high hopes and the motivation to succeed, which was enough to advance them into playoff action.

“It feels rewarding, knowing that the hard work has paid off, but that’s not where it stops,” senior Osiel Ibarra said. “We will continue to work hard.”

It feels rewarding.

— Osiel Ibarra

The team has been able to develop a strong bond this year through team dinners and the leadership of the four seniors. According to Ibarra, he feels he has more responsibility and is motivated to lead the team by example.

“The team bonds on and off the field, whether it be giving each other pointers to just making fun of each other (in a brotherly way),” Ibarra said. “It’s important to have team chemistry and bondage to be able to think as a unit on the field.”

The team is led by head coach Jeremy Watzlavik, who knows when they put their mind to something, they will not fail.

“My favorite part about being on the team the amount of trust coach has in me,” sophomore Jackson Baeza said. “I played every minute of district in one of the most important positions on the team.”

This year’s team gets along very well and their dedication to soccer stems from their love of the game.

“Soccer is a beautiful game and I love the fluid nature of the games,” Baeza. “Unlike other sports, there are no time outs or separate plays – just the game.”

To prepare for playoffs, the team will develop new strategies and practice hard over the next week. According to junior Seth Brown, the team knows that in order to win the first round, the team cannot lose hope and needs to remain focused.

“To prepare for the big game coming up, we as a team will practice hard, whether it be a scheduled practice or just be at home juggling a ball whenever we can,” Ibarra. “It’s important that we keep up with our touches (on the ball) smooth and precise during the spring break, to be ready come game time. “