Choir to present spring concert

The+choir+recently+won+Sweepstakes.+

The choir recently won Sweepstakes.

Baylea Perry, Writer

The choir will hold its Spring concert at 7 p.m. on Thursday, May 18 in the auditorium. The concert is being held not only to meet the State curriculum requirements, but also to give the students a chance to share what they have learned with the community, family and friends.

“[It] gives the opportunity for growth as the students prepare and perform for an audience,” choir teacher Nikki Hanson said. “It builds confidence in the students.”

The choir students have preformed in at least seven concerts this year, but this concert will be one that stands out because it is not as formal or as condensed as others. It is more about recognizing the students and their accomplishments throughout the year, spotlighting the seniors, and performing more contemporary songs. They will be singing a wide range of music that appeals to both the younger and older age groups.

“The music in this concert is bringing out a different side in my passion for music,” sophomore Tyren Dews said. “We are singing songs like ‘I Hope you Dance’ and ‘ Don’t Stop the Feeling.’ I feel like these songs will make the students interact more instead of just listening to us singing.”

The students have been working with all sections of the choir and practicing in the auditorium to have a good performance. Not only do the students work hard=at school but they take it upon them selves to practice at home.

“We work super hard, we rehearse all together and practice in the auditorium and in class,” freshman Haylee Wheeler said.

Hanson said that her favorite part of teaching choir is to see a student begin to appreciate music and strive to improve upon his or her skills .

“I love to see the groups bond together to create a common goal,” Hanson said.

Many people are looking forward to watching and participating in the concert. Choir students said that they are looking forward to being able to sing with the seniors for one last time, a very sentimental moment for these students. Not only is the concert going to benefit the students , but it will also benefit the community by providing them with a very open-minded and skillful performance.

“The concert gives them an opportunity to share their skills and joy of music with everyone,” Hanson said, “They have worked so hard, and concerts are a great place to share and show all [of] that off.”